Roth Coin Box (David Roth)
- Difficulty Rating: INTERMEDIATE
- Category: MONEY MAGIC
- Product Type: MAGIC TRICK
David Roth was undoubtedly the master of magic with coin boxes. He revolutionized the use of boxes by creating many different techniques that are now considered common. He also concentrated on routines that rarely used the turnovers that were common prior to his first release in 1973 which changed everything (New Stars Of Magic: Okito Box Magic). He later dedicated a large portion of his Expert Coin Magic book (Kaufman & Greenberg, 1981) to routines and techniques with coin boxes.
In his constant pursuit of the ultimate coin box routine, he created the Roth Coin Box which allowed him to be secretly one-ahead, and it also did a lot of the dirty work for him making the routines cleaner and more direct. In addition to the Roth Coin Box, you also get access to an in-depth tutorial where he teaches what he considered his best Coin Box Routine.
What is a Roth Coin Box? Some people assume that it is a standard type Okito Box with a slot in it, that is now commonly called a Slot Box. Of course, a slot is involved but there is much more than goes into making this box so very special:
1) The boxes are heavier which make many of the standard moves much easier to do.
2) The walls of the box and lid are thicker which allow for some special moves that are not possible with any other box.
3) The opening is a little larger than most boxes which allows the coins to freely go in and out as well as rattle when shaken.
4) The precisely engineered slot in the box will allow it to hold back a coin as the coins are freely dumped out.
5) The box is wide enough to accept a coin with an expanded shell on it, and placed upside down the box will actually steal the shell off the coin as it is being dumped!
6) The Roth Coin Box can be used with any borrowed coins that are not thicker than a US Nickel and will still steal one out of a stack of coins.
7) There are actually a few other design features that are subtle but are not involved in the working of the prop.
8) The Roth Coin Box can also be used for just about any other coin box routine in existence.
9) Best of all; there are no moving parts, and the Roth Coin Box is examinable! It would be very unlikely for someone to notice the little secret that is built inside.
Available in two versions:
Roth Coin Box Set:
This is similar to the set of boxes David used to sell at his lectures. You get the Roth Coin Box, a matching Okito Box, a matching Boston Box, and a lid that fits over all of them. Comes with access to a 50-minute instructional video by David Roth.
Roth Coin Box:
Many magicians who purchased the original Roth Coin Box Set ended up only using the Roth Coin Box from the set for David’s routine or their own version of it. For the first time we are offering just the Roth Coin Box and lid which will allow you to do the main routine that is performed on the trailer. Comes with access to a 50-minute instructional video by David Roth.
All the boxes are precision made from Brass to David Roth’s original specifications. They are made to be used with US Half Dollars but can be used with similar sized, or smaller coins. Both sets of boxes come with access to a 50-minute video tutorial by David Roth where he discusses and teaches all the intricacies of the box, the sleights than can be used with it, and his favorite coin box routine which can only be done with this set.
You will learn the following routines and techniques in the 50-minute tutorial: Out With Five, Out In Out, Shelled Coins From Box, Coins Through Hand, Box Through Hand, L'Homme Masque Load, Benzais Friction Palm, Shuttle Pass, Retention Vanish, Michael Skinner’s Spidergrip Vanish, The Scoop Addunder, Lid Load, Lapping From A Closed Fist, Rim Steal, Stack Rim Steal, Sweeplap Box Switch, Shuttle-Pass Box Switch, Spellbound Box Switch, and more.
NOTE: In addition to this new set there were only two other ways you could have gotten an official Roth Coin Box Set (which over the years were manufactured for him by 3-4 different companies). You could have gotten a set either directly from him or from Fantasma Magic where he briefly worked. Any other “Roth Like” set being advertised is being sold without his permission. This upset him to no end and caused him a lot of stress since some of the knockoffs are made by the people, he taught his secrets to and were hired to manufacture the boxes for him.
|Media Type||Shipped Product|
You might also like...
People who purchased this also purchased...
- 1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
These coin boxes are beautifully made and should, with proper care, last a lifetime.
Well worth the investment. These coin boxes are beautifully made and should, with proper care, last a lifetime. I am still exploring the nuances between the traditional coin box and the Roth Coin Box. Leave it to say, I am very pleased with my purchase.